Current:Home > MyGeorge Santos sues Jimmy Kimmel, says TV host fooled him into making embarrassing videos -PrimeWealth Guides
George Santos sues Jimmy Kimmel, says TV host fooled him into making embarrassing videos
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 04:04:33
NEW YORK − Former U.S. Rep. George Santos alleged in a lawsuit filed Saturday that late-night host Jimmy Kimmel deceived him into making videos on the Cameo app that were used to ridicule the disgraced New York Republican on the show.
The lawsuit filed in U.S. district court for the southern district of New York names Kimmel, ABC and Walt Disney Co. as defendants. A Disney representative listed as a media contact for the Jimmy Kimmel Live! show didn't immediately respond to The Associated Press' request for comment.
Santos, who was expelled from the House of Representatives last year after being charged with multiple counts of fraud and stealing from donors, is suing over alleged copyright infringement, fraudulent inducement, breach of contract and unjust enrichment.
Kimmel misrepresented himself to induce Santos to create personalized videos "capitalizing on and ridiculing" his "gregarious personality," the lawsuit alleges.
Through Cameo, Santos received requests from individuals and businesses seeking personalized video messages. Unbeknownst to Santos, Kimmel submitted at least 14 requests that used phony names and narratives, according to the complaint.
Starting in December the videos were played on a segment, " Will Santos Say It? " the suit says.
'Soft-brained wackos':Jimmy Kimmel hits back at Aaron Rodgers after he speculates comic is on Epstein list
In one of the clips, Santos offers congratulations to the purported winner of a beef-eating contest, calling the feat of consuming 6 pounds of ground beef in under 30 minutes "amazing and impressive."
"Frankly, Kimmel's fake requests were funny, but what he did was clear violation of copyright law," Robert Fantone, an attorney for Santos, said.
Academy AwardsJimmy Kimmel gets help from Ryan Gosling's Ken, Weird Barbie on way to Oscars Land
Santos is seeking statutory damages totaling $750,000 for the five videos he created that were played on the show and various social media platforms. He also asks for other damages to be determined at trial.
The ex-lawmaker faces a slew of criminal charges, including allegations that he defrauded campaign donors, lied to Congress about his wealth, received unemployment benefits while employed and used campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses like designer clothing. He also is alleged to have made unauthorized charges on credit cards belonging to some of his donors.
Santos pleaded not guilty to a revised indictment in October.
On Tuesday, Democrat Tom Suozzi won a special election for Santos' former seat.
veryGood! (61461)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 21 Savage cleared to travel abroad, plans concert: 'London ... I'm coming home'
- California governor vetoes bill requiring independent panels to draw local voting districts
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson responds to Maui wildfire fund backlash: 'I could've been better'
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Bobcat on the loose: Animal attacks 2 children, 2 dogs in Georgia in separate incidents
- Russia claims `neo-Nazis’ were at wake for Ukrainian soldier in village struck by missile killing 52
- US Postal Service proposes new postage stamp price hikes set to begin in 2024
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Love Is Blind's Shake Reacts to Deepti's Massive Influencer Success
Ranking
- Sam Taylor
- Drake calls out 'weirdos' discussing Millie Bobby Brown friendship in 'For All the Dogs'
- Fantasy football stock watch: Vikings rookie forced to step forward
- Horoscopes Today, October 8, 2023
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- What does it cost to go to an SEC football game? About $160 a head for a family of four
- The story of the drug-running DEA informant behind the databases tracking our lives
- Florida settles lawsuit over COVID data, agrees to provide weekly stats to the public
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Indigenous land acknowledgments are everywhere in Arizona. Do they accomplish anything?
Powerball balloons to $1.55 billion for Monday’s drawing
Russia faces a tough fight to regain its seat in the UN’s top human rights body
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
What causes muscle twitching? And here's when you should worry.
Misdemeanor charge is dropped against a Iowa state senator arrested during an annual bike ride
Caitlyn Jenner Addresses What She Knows About Kim Kardashian's Sex Tape Release